2.20.2015

Beauty vs. Character

In today's society all you ever hear about is “how to make yourself look 10 years younger” or “10 exercise moves that will give you the body you've always dreamed of” or “going gluten/dairy/sugar/fat/carb/sodium/nut free is the way to live a healthy life”. It seems that everywhere you turn, everyone is focused on beauty. Beauty this … beauty that … beauty, beauty, beauty. Don't get me wrong … I love looking/feeling beautiful (most of the time lol), but when emphasis is only on beauty, doesn't it seem that we're making beauty an idol/god?

The desire of a man is his kindness: and a poor man is better than a liar.”
Proverbs 19:22

Girls, there is only so much we can do outwardly, there is a great deal more we can do inwardly! Instead of “improving” ourselves outwardly, how are we improving ourselves inwardly (our character)?

Favour is deceitful, and beauty is vain: but a woman that feareth the Lord, she shall be praised.”
Proverbs 31:30

is vain = does not last.

If beauty doesn't last, then why is there so much emphasis being put into it? I mean really … what's more important: how beautiful we are or how beautiful our character is? If you think about, once you've been dead for about 3-6 months (or even a year), people won't remember how beautiful you made yourself look. What they'll remember is how kind + generous + compassionate + humble you were. If you are focused on who you are in Christ and attempt to fear the Lord (as Proverbs 31:30 says), then you will leave behind an absolutely beautiful legacy. What kind of legacy will you leave behind?


But the LORD said unto Samuel, Look not on his countenance, or on the height of his stature; because I have refused him: for the LORD looketh on the heart.”
1 Samuel 16:7

Okay this verse is very blunt! When God judges us for what we do, He judges our works and our character … not our outward appearance. While we spend hours on end trying to enhance ourselves outwardly, we should spend even longer to develop our inward character. What is more attractive: your outward appearance or your character?

So what will you start putting more emphasis in : your beauty or your character?  I know for me, I will be working on putting more emphasis in my character!

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Did you find this post helpful and encouraging and inspiring? Leave a comment and let me know ;)
Any thoughts on this topic?  Leave a comment and let me know ;)
Is there a topic you would like me to post about? Leave a comment and let me know think ;)


In HIS grace, Alisha
       xoxoxoxox

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey there, thanks for stopping by my blog! Okay so I already said what I needed to say in the post, so now is your chance...I'd love to hear what you have to say :D

Here are the basic ground rules:

- when in doubt, don't know what to do next, or even bored...leave a comment!
- be yourself
- remember, your words can plant seeds. Which seeds...that's up to you!
- I like you and what you have to say :D

So what are you waiting for?? Have fun commenting :D ♥

ttyl,
♥ Alisha ♥